Saturday, May 5, 2012

Garage Sale Survival 101

Hey friends!  Sorry it's been a while (yet again!)  I'm beginning to really take notice just how busy we truly are.  I don't think we had any sort of down time until today - and looking at our calendar for the next 3 months....it's only going to get worse busier.  Oh well - I will continue to write when I can and post when I don't fall asleep before 11!

Today, in our little community, was the big City Wide Garage Sale.  Every year, the first full weekend in May, hundred of families join forces, set all their crap in their drive way, and try to sell it.  Some sell their stuff for next to nothing (we like those people.)  Some try to sell their junk stuff for a small fortune.  We don't like those people.  Now,  we have lived in this small town for a little over 5 years.  I can say with 100% certainty that I have never been out on City Wide Garage Sale Saturday....I had a garage sale a couple of times, but never went out myself.  And for good reason, I'm not big on the massive amounts of traffic this time of year brings to our normally not busy streets.  I'm not big on sweating.  And I'm not big on hauling around two toddlers in and out of the car.  Normally, we wouldn't go, but recently Brayden (almost 4) has taken a serious interest in garage sales.  It may be because we've been watching endless marathons of Storage Wars.  It may be because he will end up being on hoarders some day.  It may be that he inherited some of his Great Grandpa Beasley's genes (he loved to go garage sales on a nearly daily basis.  It may even be that his Grandparents have rubbed off on him.  Whatever the reason - I told him we would get out this morning and go to a bunch of garage sales and that we did!

He was mad because he left his cup inside.  (P.S. - I went in and got it)

She was happy - because she had a dress on, pink sunglasses, and lip stick.  (Calm down - it was just chap stick)


I admit, I had second thoughts about going after I felt how flippin' hot it was outside.  I promised though and Brayden was SO excited.  I should not, could not, and would not disappoint.  So we went - and had SO much fun together.  And with that I present my survival guide for going to garage sales.

DO bring cups, filled cups and Don't forget yourself!  And extra water.  As I mentioned earlier, it was hotter than Heck outside.  And between the heat, walking around, and getting in and out of the car - the kids needed liquid.

DO bring cash/DON'T bring big bills.  People don't like to take checks and as a rule don't take credit cards.  There is nothing worse than paying with a $50 bill for 75 cents worth of goods.  We got our money from the grocery store and asked for small bills.  People like small bills.

DO expect for your kids to embarrass you.  Brayden saw a big, scruffy guy sitting on a couch at one house.  And he yells "Yikes!  There's a big, scary, monster!"  Of course it was loud enough for everyone to hear.   And Brayden also asked every house we went to if he could come inside and look.  (Don't ask me why - because I have NO idea.)

DO set a time limit.  Unless the weather is perfect and you know a bunch of people that can end up being potential bathroom stops, don't keep the kiddos out all day.  We left the house at 9 - and we were back (with some good deals and lunch) by Noon.  

DO bring a stroller if your younger child is under the age of 2.  Brayden is perfect walking around by himself.  Emma likes to run - so it was easier for her to ride.   If my husband were writing this he would say Don't bring a stroller.  He doesn't know what he's talking about though :)

DO check out if any local churches or organizations are doing some sort of snack bar.  We did just that and it bought us an extra 3 sales.    We bought two cupcakes and a diet coke.  Were the cupcakes messy?  Yep, but it kept the kids occupied for the last few houses we went to.  (The Diet Coke was for me)

DO jump on a good deal.  After several of so-so sales, we landed on a gold mine.  They had Brayden's size and Emma's size for 50 cents a piece.  All name brand, all hardly worn,  way cute stuff for next to nothing.  I bought 3 stuffed bags of clothes and a talking Eeyore for my new little niece who should be born any day now!  Don't give up - we didn't find this sale until the next to the last house we went to.  We were finding nothing but junk before that one.


I can't state enough - my babies were so good today.  Emma has always been a good shopper, but Brayden - that child didn't beg, kept up with the walking, and was just a doll the entire time (except for the embarrassing parts - but I've come to expect those).  Today was a good great day. 

Do you garage sale?  Do you have them or just go to them?  What are your tips and tricks for holding  the best sale or finding the best deals?

1 comment:

  1. We love garage sales. In fact, it's one of our anniversary traditions. My husband and I would rather garage sale all day than go on a "real" date! Glad you found good things, and that your kiddos were so great. That makes or breaks a day out and about.

    ReplyDelete