Friday, January 13, 2012

Freaky Friday

To put it bluntly, this past week has sucked.  As soon as something started working properly in our house, something else went down the pooper.  "Oh, look - the dishwasher is actually washing dishes - yay for not having to hand wash every single dish just to place it back in the dishwasher! "  "Oh crap - the dryer took 12 hours to dry a small load of laundry - oh and the washer is leaking."

My children's behavior left much to be desired as well.  At one point, I felt like I was living in a live action version of Children of the Corn - no my kids weren't knife yielding psychopaths trying to bring down all the adults in town - they were more like screaming, whiny heathens trying to bring one adult down - me.   I was super productive one day at work - only to be super unproductive the rest of the week.  One of my babies got rid of a nasty cough, the other one has to go see the Ears, Nose, and Throat Specialist next week.  My resolution to not eat out more than once a week was blown twice, and then three times.  The paragraph above is hardly all inclusive - just the highlights.  Like I said, this week has sucked...and it's taken its toll on me emotionally, physically, and spiritually.

My sweet, sweet Friday has finally arrived.  I didn't realize it was Friday the 13th until I got to work this morning.  I'm minimally superstitious so knowing it was Friday the 13th had very little of an impact on me.   All I knew, is I was ready to get my workday over with and end this week on a high note.  Lucky for me, our office building shut down at 9 a.m. and I got sent home, with pay.  "Maybe Friday the 13th is my lucky day!"  It was definitely a high note for the day!

As I was driving home, I contemplated how the rest of my day was going to go.  I had it ALL planned out it in my head.  It went a little something like this:

I came home to children and a husband that were ecstatic to see me.  I was greeted at the door with hugs and kisses and three voices telling me how excited they were to see me. 

I ran through the house and picked up what needed picked up, which was barely nothing.  My husband had done an AMAZING job keeping the house clean! 

I sat down with the kids and played multiple games of Candyland and built various things out of play dough.  All while listening to their adorable giggles.

I fixed a delicious lunch for my family.  I laid the kids down for a nap - and they drifted off to an afternoon sleep land with ease.  I was then able to watch the finale of "One Life to Live", my favorite soap opera which was being taken off of the air.

After OLTL, I laid down and took a nap with my husband.  It was a glorious two hours of pure rest. 

We all awoke with smiles on our faces.  I decided that I was going to prepare an equally delicious meal for dinner as I did for lunch, Chicken Rollatini.  I began to prepare dinner while my children quietly entertained themselves in the living room.

We ate my delicous dinner and then went to get a movie and some popcorn.  We all sat and relaxed while watching a movie.  We all looked at each other with happy smiles on our faces. 

The kids went to bed with no problem and I spent the rest of my evening with my husband, lovingly staring into each his eyes, talking over a glass of wine, telling him exactly how much I loved him.

The End

And this, is how my Friday actually went:

I walked through the door and was greeted by my husband, tush planted firmly on the couch.  He had a lap top in his lap, and he may or may not have looked up when I came in.   I was also greeted by two Wild Things, running around repeating every word to the "Wow, Wow, Wubzy" episode that was currently on TV. Nobody hugged me and nobody expressed their loving adoration of me for coming home early.

I planted my tush firmly on the opposite end of the couch from my husband.  Brayden let me borrow blue blanky because I was cold.  I preceded to close my eyes for approximately 4 minutes.  That's when the kids started arguing over the keyboard that I had bought at a thrift store the other day.  "OK, OK, I'm awake".   We all watched an additional episode of Wow, Wow, Wubzy.

I started to fix lunch, (grilled cheese), but my husband insisted on fixing it for the kids.  Obviously the kids enjoyed their sausage links, cheese sticks, fruit pouches, and strawberries much more than they would have enjoyed my grilled cheese.

I attempted to watch One Life to Live, but my chair kept getting taken from me.  I had one kid crawling on my back and another eating all of my apple pie.  I thought that something similar to this may happen, so I DVR'ed it and plan to watch it Saturday night after my kids go to bed and  my husband go to work.

One child went down for a nap without a problem. The other one stayed in his room but did not take a nap.  I did however get in a little snooze.  This is about the only similarity in what I wanted to happen and the reality of what actually happened.

Once we woke up, one child quietly sat and watched a movie.  The other one "helped" me put up his Hotwheels Wall Tracks in his room.  I could have probably accomplished this in 20 minutes by myself, with two extra hands, it took more like an hour.  At this point, what we were going to have for dinner had not even crossed my mind. 

We decide to pack up everyone and go to Wal-Mart, Family Video, Little Ceasers, and Price Chopper.  I went into Wal-Mart for eggs, milk, and butter.  I came out with 3 storage tubs, 1 sponge bob Marshmallow sucker thing, a pack of Valentines cookies, 5 Thinking of You cards, 1 tub of butter, 18 eggs, and one gallon of milk.   The trip to Wally world was followed by a trip to Little Ceasers.  This is the third time we've eaten out this week, and the second time that it has been pizza. The pizza pick up was seemingly flawless - mainly because I was able to do it by myself.  Next stop, video store.  My kids moved every children's DVD in the joint, mixing them up with every passing second.  We quickly picked up 3 kid movies and one grown up movie and headed for the line.  We had to deal with a major meltdown from Emma who wanted to run up and down the aisles.  I took her to the car while Garry and Brayden waited in line to pay for the movies.  Last stop was Price Chopper, for a much needed bottle of wine for mommy and daddy. 

We came home and ate our pizza dinner, with some popcorn as an appetizer.  We gathered in the living room and watched one of our rented movies "Arthur Solves a Mystery".  That my friends, was the quietest 15 minutes of the week.  Both kids cried when it was over.

The kids went to bed with a minimal fight.  I started a load of laundry and started cleaning out our basement.  My hubby planted his tush back in his spot and got on the computer. 

We eventually started a movie, the hubby poured us some wine, and now we are sitting across the room from each other.  He's watching a movie and I'm multi tasking: watching the same movie/writing this blog.  Occasionally, he lovingly looks over at me and says, "Did you see that?" or "Tell me what just happened". 

So, my night didn't go as I had planned, but then again what ever goes according to plan?  Looking back on the week, I'll take the negative with the positive.  I've lived another day and I've loved another minute.  I've been blessed with another crazy day with my family In the words of a friend of mine "I'm learning to appreciate my life for what it is: imperfect and absolutely fabulous." 

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the unplanned things are so much better than the planned ones, and the little things at the time end up being the big things later when you look back at them. A happy husband and kids are a much bigger deal, especially when Mom is overlooking the whole chaotic mess and can still smile at the end of the day.