Monday, January 30, 2012

Mission Possible

Fact:  This is the first Monday that I have had to work in January 2012.
Fact:  If I make it to Friday, this will be the first full work week that I've had since....October 2011
Fact:  It's 7:05 p.m. and I am EXHAUSTED.  Hence the "If" I make it to Friday.

To say that I've been spoiled the last few weeks as a working mom would be an understatement.  I got a quick dose of reality this morning.  The kids have been staying the night with Grandma and Grandpa on the days they've been watching them.  This helps me A. Not have to get up at the super ass crack of dawn and B. Not have to get myself, plus two out the door.  I am so thankful for this. 

Today I woke up at 3:45 a.m. (on purpose people).  I said to myself:  "Your mission, if you choose to accept it is to drop the kids off with their Aunt Nana and Uncle John sometime between 5:15 a.m. and 5:30 a.m."  If I was even a few minutes late, this mission would be an epic FAIL. 

I was lucky in the fact that both kids woke up on their own at 4:30 a.m.   They also woke up in excellent moods.  That was like plus a thousand for the entire day!  They both agreeably got dressed (I think because they were excited that it was an Aunt Nana Day.)

We were well on target to meet our goal.  And then I remembered what it takes to get all of us out the door.  Our hallway was lined with bags, blankets, and sippy cups.  This would be a minimum of two trips to the car:  lunch bag, tablet bag, work bag, purse, 3 blankets, two sippy cups, a Miche delivery, and a bag packed for the kids.   It reminded me of a baggage claim area at an airport - each piece silently waiting to find it's home either in the car, at work, or someplace else.
This is Emma - early morning style.  She picked the hat, I picked the PJ's.


This is Brayden early morning - he picked the hat, shirt, pj pants, AND rain boots. 

I need a helper in the morning and in the afternoons to get all this crap back inside the house.


I didn't even bother with cute shoes today - instead it was a running shoes kind of day.  We made it into the car with no meltdowns, no forgotten blankies and cups, and no "I have to go potty!".  Still completely on target to meet our 5:15 to 5:30 goal. 

There's no shocking twist in this story.  Nothing really funny happened in our 15 minute car ride.  We sang songs, we told each other how much we loved one another and we all stated that we wished daddy didn't have to work all night long.  Even though it was the most hectic Monday I've had in awhile, it was still nice to have those few minutes of laughter with the kids - even at 5 a.m.  We met our goal.  In fact, we pulled into the driveway early:
Mission Accomplished.

As I pulled out of the driveway, I reminded myself of this quote from one of my favorite movies:

"Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." 
Ferris Bueller


So true, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment